Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Review: The Otto Digmore Difference (The Otto Digmore Series, #1)

Author: Brent Hartinger
Started reading: May 7th 2017
Finished the book: May 7th 2017
Pages: 174
Genres: Contemporary, LGBT
Published: February 21st 2017
Source: Got a digital copy from the author
Goodreads score: 4.37
My score:


Synopsis
Otto Digmore is a 26-year-old gay guy with dreams of being a successful actor, and he’s finally getting some attention as a result of his supporting role on a struggling sitcom. But he’s also a burn survivor with scars on half his face, and all indications are that he’s just too different to ever find real Hollywood success.
Now he’s up for an amazing new role that could change everything. Problem is, he and his best friend Russel Middlebrook have to drive all the way across the country in order to get to the audition on time. It’s hard to say which is worse: the fact that so many things go wrong, or that Russel, an aspiring screenwriter, keeps comparing their experiences to some kind of road trip movie. There’s also the fact that Otto and Russel were once boyfriends, and Otto is starting to realize that he still might have romantic feelings for his best friend. Just how far will Otto go to get the role, and maybe the guy, of his dreams?

My thoughts
I was so surprised by this book! I was getting in there with no expectations at all actually. The fact that Otto Digmore is 26 years old is a nice change for once. I read books with main-characters who are a lot younger, usually around 16/18 years old. The book is exactly as long as it should be, not too long, not too short, just the right length.

Pros
  • Otto: Otto is maybe my #1 favorite male main-character so far! The way he describes his feelings and makes everything feel so relatable is very strong. He is very self-aware and constantly thinking about the way the world sees him and the way he wants them to see him. I can relate with that, since it's one of my characteristics as well.
  • Character development: Otto felt like a different person at the end of the book. I love how he is growing as a character, as a person and as a friend to others as well. He is getting so much insight from the different people around him. Utterly clueless at the beginning of the book and more emotionally involved with others at the end.
  • References: The references in this book are awesome. The references to different actors, but to movies and series as well. You'll just have to read it to understand what I'm talking about, but it totally felt like something unique and so relatable.
  • 1-sitting: I read this book in 1 sitting and it didn't even cost me that much time/energy/effort. It was so much fun and I was kinda sad that the book ended. Lucky for me; this was book 1 in a series!
Cons
Can't think of any, really.

Overall
This was a very relatable story. The book overall was a feel-good story for me. Even though Otto is struggling with himself, his dreams and people around him, I highly recommend this "Road Trip" together with Otto!

Other opinions about this book
"Hits the narrative sweet spot."
- NPR's All Things Considered

"Downright refreshing."
- USA Today

"Touching and realistic... hilarious."
- Kirkus Reviews

Memorable quotes from this book
"I am what I am. Like the truth is what it is. It's not good or bad, it just is. The truth is neutral. We're the ones who decide if something is good or bad."

What book did you read in 1 sitting recently?

  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, I love to discuss books and anything else!

~ Esther